Medical Support Assistant, US Dept of Veteran Affairs-Martinsburg
- Duties will vary slightly depending on the service the Medical Support Assistant is assigned to but in general at the GS-05 level incumbents are expected to perform the following duties:
- Interacts with both internal and external customers.
- Establishes and maintains medical outpatient and inpatient charts as well as administrative records.
- Verifies third party insurance and updating information in the Insurance Capture Buffer (ICB) system.
- Obtains medical information from patients.
- Coordinates information and actions related to patient care and services.
- Schedules appointments in accordance with VHA national scheduling guidelines.
- Refers all questions requiring immediate medical attention to appropriate health care team member.
- Schedules, cancels, re-schedules patient's appointments and/or consults.
- Enters no-show information.
- Monitors the electronic wait list.
- Prepares for clinic visits.
- Monitors both inpatient and outpatient appointments for areas of responsibility.
- Ensures encounter forms are completed in order to obtain appropriate workload credit.
- Verifies and updates demographics and insurance information.
- Processes all emergency and non-emergency transfers to other VA facilities or private hospitals.
- Performing basic eligibility, co-pays and pre-authorization requirements for specific coverage (i.e., TRICARE, sharing agreements, etc.).
United States Citizenship : Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
English Language Proficiency: MSAs must be proficient in spoken and written English in accordance with VA Handbook 5005, part II, chapter 3, section A, paragraph 3j.
Physical Requirements: Pre-employment physical required as indicated in evaluations section in accordance with VA Directive and Handbook 5019.
Experience and Education : Six months experience in clerical, office or other work that indicates the ability to acquire the particular knowledge and skills needed to perform the duties of the position; or One year above high school; or Equivalent combination of experience and education are qualifying for entry level for which both education and experience are acceptable.
For more information, click here