November 05, 2021
Manchin, Capito Announce More Than $1 Million To Support West Virginia Farmers, Food Banks
Washington, DC – U.S. Senators Joe Manchin (D-WV) and Shelley Moore Capito (R-WV), members of the Senate Appropriations Committee, today announced three projects totaling $1,165,965 from the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) to support farmers and ranchers in West Virginia as well, as food banks across the state.
“West Virginia farmers and ranchers work hard to provide food for West Virginians and support our economy. I am pleased USDA is investing in programs to provide training and stress relief services for famers, while also supporting West Virginia food banks. As a member of the Senate Appropriations Committee, I will continue advocating for funding to support our agriculture industry in West Virginia,” said Senator Manchin.
“Funding like this is welcome news for West Virginia’s agriculture sector and our food banks,” Senator Capito said. “Not only will this help create opportunities for both existing farmers and ranchers, but it will also help individuals looking to enter the profession and help connect excess agricultural products?to those in need throughout our communities. Providing resources for our agriculture workforce was one of the many reasons I helped craft and support the 2018 Farm Bill, and I will continue to advocate on behalf of those who call Rural America home.”
Individual awards listed below:
- $596,681 – Sprouting Farms Corp., Growing the Education To Market Pipeline: Meeting West Virginia Beginning Farmer Education and Training Needs
- This funding will support new and beginning farmers inprove their success in farming through an education, training and technical assistance program to increase their knowledge and skills.
- $500,000 – West Virginia Department of Agriculture
- This funding will support an expansion of the FRSAN program and to address farmer stressors affecting behavior and mental health by providing access to resources.
- $69,284 – West Virginia Department of Agriculture
- This funding will be used to support food banks across the state.
Next Article Previous Article