MANCHIN STORAGE HUB BILL PASSES SENATE ENERGY AND NATURAL RESOURCES COMMITTEE
Washington, DC – Today, the U.S. Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee passed The Appalachian Energy for National Security Act, Ranking Member Manchin’s (D-WV) legislation to require the Department of Energy (DOE) to conduct a study on the national and economic security benefits of the proposed Appalachian Storage Hub. The Committee also passed 8 other bills Senator Manchin sponsored or co-sponsored.
“An Appalachian Storage Hub would have immeasurable benefits for the Appalachian region and our country as a whole. Not only would it be an economic driver for the region but it would also increase our national and economic energy security. With countries like Russia and China continuing to leverage their energy resources for political influence, it is more important than ever for the United States to secure energy independence. In West Virginia we have been blessed with an abundance of natural resources and are well-suited to provide this energy security for the rest of the nation. I’m pleased to see my Appalachian Energy for National Security Act pass the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee, and I will continue working with my colleagues on both sides of the aisle to ensure it becomes law,” Ranking Member Manchin said.
The Committee also passed Senator Manchin’s Enhancing Fossil Fuel Energy Carbon Technology (EFFECT) Act that would direct the DOE’s Office of Fossil Energy to establish four new research and development (R&D) programs focused on coal and natural gas technology, carbon storage, carbon utilization, and carbon removal. Finally, the Committee passed Senator Manchin’s Rare Earth Element Advanced Coal Technology Act (REEACT) that would allow for the development of technology capable of extracting rare earth elements (REEs) from coal and coal byproducts to re-establish a U.S.-based supply chain.
Below is the full list of Senator Manchin’s bills that passed out of the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee.
- S.1064, Appalachian Energy for National Security Act
- S. 1201, Enhancing Fossil Fuel Energy Carbon Technology (EFFECT) Act
- S. 1052, Rare Earth Element Advanced Coal Technology Act (REEACT)
- S. 1317, American Mineral Security Act
- S. 903, Nuclear Energy Leadership Act (NELA)
- S. 1857, Federal Energy and Water Management Performance Act of 2019
- S. 1245, All-of-the-Above Federal Building Energy Conservation Act
- S. 1286, Energy Technology Maturation Act
- S. 983, Weatherization Enhancement and Local Energy Efficiency Investment and Accountability Act of 2019
To watch Ranking Member Manchin’s opening statement click here.
To watch the business meeting in full click here.
Next Article Previous Article