Senator Manchin Concludes Fifty-Five County Outreach Tour
Senator Manchin will wrap up his 2014 statewide tour in Webster County
Washington, D.C. – Today, U.S. Senator Joe Manchin will wrap up his 2014 statewide outreach tour, which has included stops in all of West Virginia’s fifty-five counties. Senator Manchin has traveled from region to region this year when Congress has been out of session to connect with West Virginians. During his visits, he has met with thousands of residents including veterans, seniors, students, educators, community leaders, small business owners, entrepreneurs, coal miners and local and state officials to hear their commonsense concerns and ideas for improving our state and our nation.
“The people of West Virginia deserve the very best in service from those elected to represent this great state, and there is nothing more important to me than staying connected and hearing from West Virginians,” Senator Manchin said. “It was a privilege to visit all fifty-five counties this year and engage with so many wonderful residents who want to address our challenges and discuss ways to make our state and our nation a better place. It is the commonsense discussions, ideas and connections that I have in the small communities across our state that have kept me going in Washington day after day. I will continue to work hard to make sure that we address our challenges and find commonsense solutions.
“I always remind my staff to put the constituent first, something that I call retail government. We truly understand that each and every West Virginian is the reason why we are here and why I can serve in the U.S. Senate. My staff is ready to assist, and I encourage my fellow West Virginians not to hesitate to call my office and ask questions or ask for help. From the bottom of our hearts, thank you for the opportunity to serve the great state of West Virginia. We look forward to visiting with our fellow West Virginians again in the coming year.”
Highlights from Senator Manchin’s statewide outreach tour include:
• Senator Manchin hosted a business exporter forum with Chairman Fred Hochberg of the Export-Import Bank of the United States.
• Senator Manchin delivered a Congressional Update to members of the West Virginia Legislature.
• Senator Manchin joined FHL Bank Pittsburgh to present nearly $1.8 million in affordable housing grants to eight state projects.
• Senator Manchin participated in a major expansion announcement at Eagle Manufacturing in Brooke County.
• Senator Manchin helped launch Variety the Children’s Charity “My Bike” West Virginia Program for children with disabilities.
• Senator Manchin joined representatives from the RCBI, ATK, the U.S. Navy, and Marshall University for a public-private partnership announcement in advanced manufacturing.
• Senator Manchin was presented the Boy Scouts of America Silver Buffalo Award.
• Senator Manchin hosted an energy tour in the state to highlight the need for balanced solutions to address our nation’s energy needs and environmental concerns.
• Senator Manchin hosted 40 town hall meetings with constituents.
• Senator Manchin participated in 12 roundtable discussions on various issues including clean water, drug abuse, economic development, school safety, energy issues, and helping our seniors and veterans.
• Senator Manchin delivered remarks at various events including: Annual Mining Symposium in Charleston, Annual Governor’s Energy Summit at the Stonewall Jackson Resort, American Legion Convention in Huntington, National Marine Corps League Convention in Charleston, UMWA installation of officers ceremony in Morgantown, West Virginia Chamber’s Annual Meeting and Business Summit in Greenbrier County, as well as many county chamber events.
To view an interactive map with photos and details from each of Senator Manchin’s stops on his statewide tour, please click here.
In addition to Senator Manchin’s events, his regional outreach representatives also hosted and participated in various events around the state on his behalf this year. They have been active in every county, attending events, visiting businesses, meeting with community leaders and hosting mobile office hours. In addition, they have participated in every town hall that the VA hospitals and regional offices have hosted. Highlights of Senator Manchin’s staff this year include: one hundred mobile office events for the fourth annual Commonsense Connections Week; four regional outreach meetings for seniors; multiple veterans visits as part of National Salute to Veterans Week; six veterans’ outreach mobile office events; various West Virginia facility tours for National Health Center Week; and statewide flag presentations in honor of Flag Day.
Next Article Previous Article