September 02, 2022
Manchin, Capito Announce $8.7 Million for Three West Virginia Airport Projects
Charleston, WV – Today, U.S. Senators Joe Manchin (D-WV) and Shelley Moore Capito (R-WV), members of the Senate Appropriations Committee, announced $8,756,448 from the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) for three West Virginia airport projects. The funding will support a new equipment building at the Greenbrier Valley Airport, upgrades to runway and taxiway infrastructure at the Tri-State/Milton J Ferguson Field Airport and an environmental impact review at West Virginia International Yeager Airport.
“I am pleased DOT is investing in three airport projects across West Virginia to improve safety and efficiency for West Virginians and Americans traveling to and within our great state,” said Senator Manchin. “West Virginia’s airports are our gateway to the rest of the world, and these investments will boost local tourism and spur economic development across the entire state. I look forward to seeing the positive impacts of this funding, and as a member of the Senate Appropriations Committee, I will continue advocating for resources to support transportation hubs across the Mountain State.”
“Making sure our airports are safe and maintained is paramount—for everything from tourism to everyday travel,” Senator Capito said. “I’m glad to see this funding headed to airports in Lewisburg, Charleston, and Huntington to support various projects. By making these upgrades, West Virginia airports will operate more efficiently, more safely, and service more people.”
Individual awards listed below:
- $4,569,500 – Greenbrier County: Greenbrier Valley Airport
- This funding will support the construction of a new equipment building to protect critical snow removal equipment from adverse weather conditions.
- $3,142,899 – Tri-State Airport Authority: Tri-State/Milton J Ferguson Field Airport
- This funding will support sealing and crack repair to existing runways and taxiways.
- $1,044,049 – Central West Virginia Regional Airport Authority: West Virginia International Yeager Airport
- This funding will support the completion of an environmental impact statement for a proposed runway safety area project as required by the National Environmental Policy Act.
Next Article Previous Article