May 19, 2022
Manchin, Capito Announce $890K for Five West Virginia Arts and Music Programs
Washington, DC – Today, U.S. Senators Joe Manchin (D-WV) and Shelley Moore Capito (R-WV), members of the Senate Appropriations Committee, announced $890,700 from the National Endowment for the Arts (NEA) for five arts and music programs across West Virginia.
“West Virginia has a vibrant culture of arts and music, and our entire state is very proud of the important role that artists and musicians play in our communities. I am pleased that the NEA is investing in these five programs to support our artists as they pursue their passions and enrich West Virginia and the entire country. I look forward to seeing the positive impacts of this funding and as a member of the Senate Appropriations Committee, I will continue to advocate for resources to bolster music and arts programs across the Mountain State,” said Senator Manchin.
“West Virginia is rich with culture and history, and I believe it is important that we work to keep our state’s creative spirit and proud traditions alive for generations to come,” Senator Capito said. “It’s great to see support heading our way that will help to grow our symphonies and orchestras, and bolster regional and traditional arts programs across the Mountain State. I applaud the recipients for their commitment to strengthening our communities through the arts, and I look forward to continuing to support these programs through my work on the Senate Appropriations Committee.”
Individual awards listed below:
- $820,700 – West Virginia Division of Culture and History/Arts Section, Charleston, West Virginia
- This funding will support state and regional arts programs, services and activities.
- $35,000 – West Virginia Humanities Council, Charleston, West Virginia
- This funding will support an apprenticeship program in folk and traditional arts.
- $15,000 – West Virginia Symphony Orchestra
- This funding will support a project to organize a statewide tour of performances.
- $10,000 – City of Buckhannon, West Virginia
- This funding will support musical performances involved with the World Association of Marching Show Bands.
- $10,000 – Wheeling Symphony Society, Wheeling, West Virginia
- This funding will support the Young People’s Concert Tour across West Virginia, Ohio and Pennsylvania.
Next Article Previous Article